According to an article from the New York State Museum, City Hall was Albany's first public building and was known as the Stadt Huys until 1686 when Albany was granted a charter and it became City Hall. It was not only the site of city and county government, but it also housed the State government before the State Capitol was built in 1806-8. The original structure was small and was replaced in 1741 with a larger building at the same place. This building was brick and three stories high. Then in 1831 a new city hall was built and the old city hall became the Albany Museum. The building was later demolished after being damaged by fire.