Immediately above Cold Spring are Bull Hill, Breakneck Hill, and Beacon Hill. The second of these heights contains the rock known by the various names of the Turk's Head, Anthony's Face, and Upper Anthony's Nose. Beacon Hill is one of the highest summits of the Fishkill mountains, and to its top parties of pleasure frequently resort in the summer season, to view an extensive prospect, embracing a part of the territories of five different States. The name of this mountain appears to have been " The Grand Sachem," its less sonorous title being derived from the use to which it was put during the Revolutionary war.
Bull Hill has also been known by its Latin name Mount Taurus. The story is often told that there was once a wild bull roaming the mountain terrorizing any who ventured near. A shooting part was organized and the bull faced with these hunters chose instead to charge and leap off the top of the mountain.
The map points out a promontory on Bull Hill known as Turk's Face. This projection evidently resembled a human profile like the famous Man in the Mountain in Franconia, New Hampshire. Unfortunately in 1846 Turk's Face was blown to a thousand pieces by a Captain Ayers for the trap rock. The public was so incensed at the desecration of this public monument that when a few years later the Captain was killed during another explosion, there was general applause. When The Hudson River Stone Cooperation purchased 1000 acres of Bull Hill in 1931, there was a public outcry which resulted in an movement to conserve the Highlands. Eventually this public sentiment formed itself into the Hudson River Preservation Society and William Church Osborn of Garrison was its first president. The preservation of Mount Taurus was at the top of the list for a plan which included preservation of many historic sites on the Hudson. The Conservation Society raised funds while a State Commission studied the various sites to be preserved.