We pass on to Caldwell's Landing, where the large boats first stop on their passage up the river. It is at the entrance of the "Highlands," and is connected by a steam ferry with Peekskill, on the east side of the river. The Highlands or Fishkill mountains, which first appear about forty miles above New York, attract notice from their grandeur and sublimity, as well as from their association with some of the most important movements of the Revolution.
The History of Rockland County by Frank Green written in 1886 says this about Caldwell's Landing.
"At the point of the frowning thunder mountain, called by its Dutch name Donderberg, Joshua Colwil, a descendent of John Cholwell, one of the original patentees of the Cheesecocks patent, had made a home at the beginning of this century, and on March 19th, 1800, was granted by Legislative act, the right, in conjunction with Joseph Travis of Peekskill, to run a ferry across the river from his landing to that of Travis. By what means Colwil's name became transferred to Caldwell is as unknown as the change from Cholwell to Colwil, but it did become so altered, and the old name of Gilbraltar gradually gave way to that of the first ferryman. A short time ago, one Charles H. Jones, a resident of Long Island, who owned some property at Caldwell's, exerted influence enough to get the railroad company and post-office authorities to give his name to the point. Who this Jones is; what deeds he has performed that should entitle him, a stranger to our soil, to grace old Donderberg with his name, I have yet to learn. It is hoped that sooner or later the resident of Stony Point township will demand a change of the name back to Caldwell's."
The point is today called Jones' Point.
Green also relates this story:
" The Post office was opened in October, 1885, with James A. De Groot as post master. Another event in the history of Caldwell's calls for mention. In the war of 1812, it was soon demonstrated that the hope of the United States lay in her fleet, and the Navy received every encouragement. a new yard was planned, less exposed to attack than that of Brooklyn, and Caldwell's Landing was talked of because of its safety, and the great depth of water at it. But according to the tradition still preserved in this section, the legislators who decided on the spot, reckoned without their host. Colwil, or Caldwell was a Federalist, of the most pronounced type. In his estimation, as in that of many other of his confreres, the war with England was not only heedless, but actually iniquitous, and he would lend no hand in the struggle. With this feeling, he placed so disproportionate a valuation on his property that the Government at once abandoned the project. "
The Beers Atlas of the Hudson from 1891 does call that point Jones' Point. There is on that map a West Indies Asphalt works as well as Episcopal and Methodist churches and a railroad station. Mr. De Groot's name has become DeGroat's post office and store. The land at Jones point was owned by Mary E. Jones.