For six miles north from Teller's Point, the river is again expanded to a width of from two to three miles. This expansion is known by the name of Haverstraw Bay. On its west bank is the town of Haverstraw or Warren, thirty-six miles north from New York. Near Haverstraw is Smith's house, where Andre was for a time concealed on his way to meet Arnold, at his residence near Sugarloaf Mount. He landed in a batteau at the Hook below, stopped till midnight at Smith's house, whence he was rowed to Verplank's Point in a boat. At the head of Haverstraw Bay are Stony and Verplank's points, celebrated in the annals of America.
Arthur Adams in The Hudson River Guidebook says that the name Haverstraw comes from the Dutch "haverstroo" or oat straw which grows in the marshes of this area. He explains some of the early history of this area.
"In 1671 two tracts were granted under New Jersey patents to Henrick Van Bommel, and another to Balthazar De Hart and Nicholas DePew. Florus Willemse Crom and Minne Johannes settled here in 1681 and Reyn Van Ditmarsen in 1683. The Haverstraw precinct was set off in 1720 and the first blacksmith established in 1720. In 1771 Jacob Van Dyke commenced the manufacture of bricks. On July 13, 1776 an attempted British landing was repulsed by local militia. After the Revolution in 1825, followers of Robert Owen established the Franklin Community here, the first American communist experiment. the town was incorporated in 1854."