A mile north from Jersey city is Hoboken, a fine town of nearly a hundred houses. It contains fine grounds, beautifully laid out, called the Elysian fields, much frequented from the city in the summer season.
Hoboken was purchased in 1784 by John Stevens who planned its first community site. During the nineteenth century the area was known for its resorts and prominent villas but today it is a manufacturing center with a population of 33,397. The name Hoboken means tobacco pipe in the language of the Lenni-Lenape, who were its original inhabitants.