Wilson's Illustrated Guide to the Hudson River written in 1851 describes Fishkill Landing as follows:
"Fishkill, village, about 5 miles from the landing, on the creek of that name, contains about 120 houses situated in a fertile plain. The landing consists of several scattered hamlets making a village; there are two landings one known as Dewint's or the Long Wharf, and the other as the upper or Mattewan landing pertaining to the Mattewan Company. The beautiful manufacturing village of Mattewan lies about a mile from the landing at the foot of Mattewan mountains and was founded by Messrs. Schenca and Leonard in 1814. There are here six manufactories, the economy of whose buildings and operations afford an exemplar, which cannot fail to be studied to advantage, by all who are interested in similar works."