The Nervous System: Its connection to whole body functionality – Part of the Ayurvedic Lecture Series
February 22 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
The nervous system includes the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) and the peripheral nervous system (nerves that branch off from the spinal cord and extend to all parts of the body).
Ayurveda recognizes the connection of the nervous system to each of the other body systems and emphasizes the optimization of this connection for the complete functionality of all systems. The nervous system transmits signals between the brain and the rest of the body, including internal organs. In this way, the nervous system’s activity controls the ability to move, breathe, see, think, and more.
When something goes wrong with a part of your nervous system, you can have trouble moving, speaking, swallowing, breathing, or learning. You can also have problems with your memory, senses, or mood. There are more than 600 neurologic diseases. Major types include: Multiple sclerosis (MS) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) as well as
- Diseases caused by faulty genes, such as Huntington’s disease and muscular dystrophy
- Problems with the way the nervous system develops, such as spina bifida
- Degenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease
- Diseases of the blood vessels that supply the brain, such as stroke Injuries to the spinal cord and brain Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- Cancer, such as brain tumors Infections, such as meningitis
ABOUT SOMESH N. KAUSHIK, ND, BAMS, MPH, MPA, E-RYT 500
With over 35 years of experience as an Ayurvedic physician, Dr. Kaushik’s medical training is extensive. He is one of the most experienced Ayurvedic physicians in North America and is the recipient of the Dhanwantri Award, his profession’s highest honor. Dr. Kaushik recently founded the Institute for the Advancement of Ayurvedic Sciences, a research and teaching institution. Dr. Kaushik is the owner and chief medical practitioner of Dr. Kaushick’s Ayurvedic and Naturopathic Clinic in Cross River, NY.
REGISTER HERE for this online Crowdcast event.