Philipstown Community Resources
The Philipstown Community Resources page is brought to you by the Julia L. Butterfield Library and Desmond-Fish Public Library as a go-to guide for local resources. It is a work in progress and we hope you will contribute your suggestions to keep it as current and useful as possible.
List of Resources
Local, State, & Federal Government Offices
- Town of Philipstown
- Village of Cold Spring Board of Trustees
- Village of Nelsonville Board of Trustees
- Putnam County
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Social Security Administration
- New York State Senate
- New York State Assembly
- New York State Government
- United States Senate
- United States House of Representatives
- Federal Government
- Garrison Union Free School District (K-8)
- Haldane Central School District (K-12)
- Lakeland Central School District (K-12)
- Manitou School (Pre-K-8)
- The Nest Child Care Center (Pre-K)
- James I. O’Neill High School (9-12)
- Philipstown Recreation (Pre-K)
- St. Basil Academy (Residential Pre-K-12)
- St. Philips Nursery School (Pre-K)
- Stacy’s House Preschool (Pre-K)
Voting & Citizenship Information
In an emergency, call 9-1-1
- Local Police, Fire , and EMS Phone Numbers
- Putnam County Sheriff’s Department
- Putnam/Northern Westchester Women’s Resource Center
- 24 Hour Domestic Abuse Hotline: 845-628-2166
- Philipstown Social Services
- Hudson River Health Care Community Health Centers
- New York State of Health – Health Plan Marketplace
- Mental Health – Putnam County Social Services
- National Library of Medicine Guide to Finding Reliable Health Information
- New York-Presbyterian Hudson Valley Hospital
- Putnam County Department of Health
- Putnam County Office for the Disabled
- Red Cross
- Visiting Nurse Services
Substance Abuse Recovery
Immigration & Refugee Services
Basic Needs Assistance
Civil Service Organizations
- First Baptist Church (American Baptist)
- Episcopal Church of St. Mary-in-the-Highlands (Episcopalian)
- Saint Philip’s Church in the Highlands (Episcopalian)
- Chapel of St. Basil’s Academy (Greek Orthodox)
- United Methodist Church of Cold Spring (Methodist)
- United Methodist Church of South Highlands (Methodist)
- First Presbyterian Church of Philipstown (Presbyterian)
- Our Lady of Loretto (Roman Catholic)
Arts & Culture
- Boscobel House and Gardens
Historic House Museum containing one of the finest collections of decorative arts from the Federal period. Tour the Neoclassical mansion and access to 68 acres of grounds, featuring lush gardens and a woodland trail.
- Chapel Restoration
A national historic landmark, built in 1833 in the Greek Revival style, the chapel, which has no religious affiliation, hosts a renowned Sunday Music Series and Sunset Reading Series.
- Cold Spring Film Society
Free summer film series offers community screenings on the Cold Spring waterfront with additional screenings and film enrichment programs offered at different community venues throughout the year.
- Constitution Island
Constitution Island is part of the U.S. Military Academy Reservation at West Point and has historic ties to the Revolutionary War and the Warner Famiy. The island is open to the general public seasonally, May to October.
- Depot Docs
A curated series of exceptional documentaries, Depot Docs brings groundbreaking films, and the people who make them, to the Hudson Valley.
- Garden Conservancy
Based in Garrison, NY, The Garden Conservancy is a national organization dedicated to saving and sharing outstanding American gardens for the education and inspiration of the public.
- Garrison Art Center
Community art center offering classes and galleries and a popular summer program for ages pre-K-grade 12.
- Garrison Institute
The Garrison Institute is committed to harnessing the power of contemplative wisdom and practices — from many traditions, and in many contemporary contexts — to build a more compassionate and resilient future for all.
- Hastings Center
Founded in 1969 by philosopher Daniel Callahan and psychoanalyst Willard Gaylin, The Hastings Center is the oldest independent, nonpartisan, interdisciplinary research institute dedicated to addressing fundamental ethical and social issues in health care, science, and technology.
- Highlands Current Calendar
Daily Listing of Philipstown and Beacon Events
- Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival
HVSF is a critically acclaimed professional, non-profit theater company featuring lucid, engaging, and highly inventive productions staged under an iconic, open-air Theater Tent overlooking the Hudson River at historic Boscobel House and Gardens.
- Magazzino Italian Art
Magazzino Italian Art Foundation is a museum located in Cold Spring, New York, devoted to Italian Postwar and Contemporary Art. Magazzino, meaning warehouse in Italian, was co-founded by Nancy Olnick and Giorgio Spanu. Admission is free to the public. No reservation required.
- Manitoga: The Russell Wright Design Center
Manitoga is the House, Studio and 75-acre woodland garden of American industrial designer Russel Wright (1904-1976). Manitoga is a National Historic Landmark, an Affiliate Site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and one of the few 20th century modern homes with original landscape open to the public seasonally.
- Philipstown Depot Theatre
Community-based performing arts center that connects families and individuals in the Hudson River Valley with the best in high-caliber affordable theater, music and films.
- Putnam History Museum
Local history museum and archive with a dedicated mission to collect, preserve, interpret, and present the history of Putnam County, Philipstown, the West Point Foundry, and the Hudson Highlands.
Recreation & Clubs
The Great Outdoors
- Constitution Marsh Audubon Center
- Hudson Highlands Land Trust
- Little Stony Point
- Open Space Institute
- Putnam Highlands Audubon Society
Chapter of the National Audubon Society, founded in 1976, serving Putnam and Dutchess counties.
- Riverkeeper – Hudson River
- Scenic Hudson
- Stonecrop Gardens
Originally the home of Anne and Garden Conservancy Founder Frank Cabot, Stonecrop became a public garden in 1992 and features 15 acres of diverse gardens and plants.
- 22 Hikes in Philipstown Map and Guide
- West Point Foundry Park Brochure
- Foundry Dock Park
- Manitou Point Preserve
- Hudson River Greenway Water Trail Maps
- Hudson River Greenway Land Trail
- Putnam County Greenway Map
- NYNJ Trail Conference Trail Finder
- Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve
- Clarence Fahnestock Trail Map
- Appalachian Trail Map
- Hike the Hudson Valley – Trails East of the River
- Hudson Highlands Bird Conservation Areas Map
- Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area
- 50 Hikes in the Hudson Valley Guidebook
- Adventures Around Putnam Blog
Family-friendly, outdoors-oriented, low or no cost things to do in and around Putnam County
- A Guide to Hudson Valley Towns: Beacon, Cold Spring, and Garrison
(Chronogram, May 1, 2018)
- Living in Garrison, NY: A Bucolic Hamlet on the Hudson
(New York Times, Jan. 24, 2018)
- The 12 Best Places to Live in the Hudson Valley: Cold Spring
(Hudson Valley Magazine, March 2017)
Weather & Storm Closings
Utility Companies Service Information
Local Business & Reality
Farmers Markets, Community Gardens, & CSAs
- Cold Spring Farmers Market
- Glynwood CSA and Farm Store
Glynwood is an agricultural nonprofit with a mission to ensure the Hudson Valley is a region defined by food, where farming thrives. As part of this mission, Glynwood maintains a 160-member year-round CSA (full & half shares available), as well as a small on-site farm store featuring Glynwood’s certified organic produce & Animal Welfare Approved meat, and curated products by other excellent regional producers.
- San Damiano Farm at Graymoor
- Longhaul Farm
Newspapers & Media Outlets
Hudson Valley News, Events, and Lifestyle
- Highlands Current
Weekly free newspaper featuring News and Events in Cold Spring, Garrison, Nelsonville and North Highlands
- The Journal News
Daily subscription newspaper covering Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam News
- Putnam County News and Recorder
Weekly subscription newspaper covering Philipstown, Cold Spring, Garrison and Putnam Valley in New York’s Hudson Highlands